Wednesday, July 29, 2009

New Summer Work



I have been making some art. The clay monoprinting has been very exciting as I have moved into a larger format, 36x36. I love this size, although it is physically more challenging as well. Challenging because of the weight of the clay in the frame as well as the amount of upper strength it takes to rub and pull a print this size. But I really like it all!

One of the earliest pieces in this size is currently hanging in the Cultural Center in WV's capitol. The title here is "Christos Rey" and I am thrilled to be included in the Emerging Artists of WV Juried Show. This exhibit showcases emerging artists in the the Commissioner's Gallery in the newly refurbished WV State Museum.

More new prints came out of the time spent at the Celebrating the Creative Spirit with Marilyn Phillis. They reflect my visit to the Axelle Gallery in Chelsea, NYC and show my attempts at a new painterly style & technique.



And finally, two more prints as I work through my two interests-- Abstract Expressionism and Minimal Ruralism. LOL, the clay monoprinting technique does not allow for details and so these two approaches seem to work in creating bold images on the reemay. Hope to have more to share in the coming weeks.


No comments:

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly