Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Blog Hiatus Over--Knit Content Here

Dear Reader,

Censorship is a damning and damaging thing. The threat of censorship is real and powerful as well. I confess to you that my self inflicted blog hiatus was due to a censorship threat by a nefarious Muggle from outside the blogosphere. And rather than give her ammunition to use in her attacks against me, I chose instead silence.

I celebrate my return to the Violetpatch with some knitting content. First there are these









and then there are these.
The fire-red socks are made with Lorna's Laces super wash Shepherd Sock yarn, to date my favorite sock yarn for its softness and ease in knitting. Currently, I've started a pair of black cashmere ribbed socks for a gift. I have discovered a new softness with these my first cashmere knits, but the yarn splits and I have to be really careful as I knit.

I took the red socks on vacation last week. And where did we go? Have a look. You tell me. First clue, Knitting Mecca.

This is Traveling Sock #2 in front of the McMichael Canadian Art Collection.

What's the city?

It's the home of a large body of water (my DD posing for you).


Home too of lucious knit shops (can you read the name of the shop on the blackboard above my shoulder?). And the world's tallest structure, which I have cleverly hidden behind these two smaller skyscrapers.

Yes, we were in the city of her royal yarn-ness
we were in Toronto Canada. Hot, hot, hot. We stayed in a clean, cheap motel near Humber Bay and enjoyed evening walks along Lake Ontario. Great art. Great Shopping. Terrific yarn shops. Super restaurants.

No comments:

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly