Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Art Retreat


It's time for summer art camp--washing and packing clothes and gathering art supplies for a week with Marilyn Hughey Phillis and her workshop entitled, Releasing the Creative Spirit. While Marilyn is an incredible, nationally recognized watercolorist (see image), I am spending the week with her to "release my creative spirit" and to work on the art quilts and the clay monoprints.

This year of 2007 has been too busy with family and work obligations (but I wouldn't have missed a minute of those obligations for anything!) and there has been little art and little knitting. There has been work, though, just not much blogging. I have completed a traditional quilt (Ami Simms' Twisted Sisters) in African fabrics. I've also completed what I call "The Ugly Quilt" a fused abstract piece. (pictures forthcoming) There are a few new clayprints, but all in all, there is not much new.

I hope to change that with a week away in the North Carolina mountains at Hemlock Studios. There will be 8 of us working with Marilyn. I've been encouraged to bring my "other media" to the retreat. That's all for the good as I am not a painter. I have high hopes for this quiet week of work as I want to experience that creative spirit, feel the woooosh! and the rush of the energy of that spirit as I work. I want to feel those chakras all in alignment and the colors and the images coming through me and into my work.

There's the practical side to this too. I have committed to a solo show at the local artist collaborative ArtWorks in September. There MUST be some new work to show. As always, the pressure of a deadline threatens and the work gets done.

So dear reader, there is much work to do and new art to make, and hopefully a creative spirit to be released. Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly