Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Art Inspires Art


I am readying my work for a one woman show--my first! after the little coffee shop showing last year. I have new clay monoprints and new fuzed quilts to hang. And thanks to my week at Hemlocks, I have new ways for thinking about how to combine these two mediums. Thank you, Monita.

But the three pieces that I'm blogging this morning are prints that I made in the style of great artists (note to self: where are the women?)
in an attempt to learn more control over this extemporaneous medium.

The first print is After Waterlilies. It is an unsuccessful print underneath with Shiva paintstick scribbles on top. I liked this particular experiment. The Shivas adhere beautifully to the clay and the oily fixative on the surface. With encouragement from my mentor, I moved the dark reds into the lower right quadrant and think that the scribbles and the piece are finished.

The middle piece is Homage to Rothko. I love all the colors under the black and red blocks--they add a shimmering to the piece that is reminiscent of the subtle movements in Rothko's big pieces. The big blocks of color are made by painting colored/tinted clay slip onto newspaper which soaks up extra moisture. Then the paper is flipped onto the clayslab that I work from and I use a rolling pin to impress the paper onto the clay slab. When I peel off the newspaper the colored clay slip has been impressed into the slab; then I print.







Finally, I have Guantanamo: A Little American Prison: Hommage to Motherwell. Robert Motherwell was greatly affected by the Spanish Civil War. He made a series of prints called A Little Spanish Prison. When I saw these I thought, "Fuzed quilts!" and there is a fabric Abbu Grab in the forthcoming show. While at Hemlocks I wanted to see if I could do a similar piece in clay. So here it is. Like the Rothko piece above, I painted each stripe and color separately on paper and pressed them onto the clay. This worked and gives the print a depth not possible in the fabric cousin.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly