Monday, August 21, 2006

New Summer Quilt

At last I am able to post this summer's first quilt, 45X45. Obviously it's a modern take off of traditional log cabin quilts. My learning here was to surround the vibrant blocks with neutrals so that they would stand out even more.
The biggest success of the quilt though, was the machine quilting. I have had a lot of trouble with my (new) machine and free-motion quilting. An afternoon spent with local machine quilter
P. Klug really helped as I learned a lot about threads.


Now that I have a good relationship with my machine and some nice new Sulky threads, the quilting is easy.


And here are two close-ups of the blocks.

1 comment:

Karoda said...

nice quilt! and i'm so envious of anyone that says fmq is "so easy". i've been practicing and practicing and on my samples my quilting eventually looks pretty good but then i start on an actual piece and it looks like a blind woman's work. i wonder if my destiny is so make straight line quilting exciting???!!! so whats up for fall quilting?

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly