Monday, July 17, 2006

Birthday Gifts

Another year older and wiser.

I had a lovely birthday weekend. All the important women in my life were with me--My mother, my sister, my daughter, my college roommates(from across the miles), and my three dear local girlfriends. I am blessed, loved, and nurtured by these women. Too often I take that love & support for granted, and I hope in the next year I can work at being more mindful of such blessings.

One of my girlfriends gave me this message in a card:

The Real To-Do List

  • Sing
  • Smile at strangers
  • Keep learning
  • Notice kindness
  • Eat ice cream
  • Hope
  • Count your blessings
  • Laugh
  • Love
  • Love some more

Those sound like things I want to do this coming year.

My other dear friend, whom I met in 1970 (eegads, I really am old) and who is without a doubt the wisest, deepest thinking person I've ever known, wrote this poem for me as an ode the the new directions I am seeking.

A Burning Deep Within

A burning deep within--

like a mysterious light

glimpsed far deeper in the woods

than you have dared to walk.

A beckoning, "come home:"

home to your uniqueness;

home to the home

this world cannot offer;

home to the place you belong,

that which you love.

To go there you must

develop apatheia,

the discipline of detachment

from all that is trivial,

that fragments or scatters,

develop a unifying heart

that gathers like a glass

refracting rays of light

from the source

of the burning deep within.

--B.T. 7/15/06

1 comment:

Karoda said...

Cheryl, I almost didn't recognize your blog...:) Happy belated birthday lady! The time with your "sisters" sounds nothing short of beautiful!

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly