Thursday, June 01, 2006

STITCHKEEPERS--found at last!


Last fall while at a storytelling festival, I met a woman knitting socks. She had the neatest little gadget to hold the short, 4 " DPN's together, Stitchkeepers, she called them. Since then I have looked everywhere to keep my sock projects from unraveling. Well, today's my lucky day! In today's issue of "The Knitter's Review" Clara Parkes reviews "StichKeepers" by Rollie.

The Knitter's Review says about StitchKeepers, " The notion behind (them) is extremely simple: you have two small rubber cups that are connected by a narrow strand of elastic. That's it! You simply arrange yoursock so the needles are all aligned, then slip the rubber cup over each end of the needles. The elastic automatically holds the rubber cups together and keeps your needles (and the knitting on them) right where they are."

StitchKeepers by Rollie are available in three different needle size groups: size US 0-3, US 3-5, and US 5-9. Elastic lengths of 4", 5", 6", 8" and 10" are available in each of the 3 widths.

I called the listed phone number pronto and spoke with Rollie in person. A retired teacher who makes jewelry and StitchKeepers, she has been knitting since she was 4 years old. Hurrah for Rollie! I placed my order, enjoyed the chat, and hope to share these Keepers with sock making friends.

No comments:

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly