Tuesday, March 21, 2006

ADOBE SPRING


I am looking forward to a spring visit to New Mexico and in anticipation of the trip, I made Adobe Spring. Here's my most recent attempt at merging the clay monoprint with the art quilt (15"x 22"). The last piece was critiqued by a non-quilt artist as "too much" when I fixed bundles a la Sonji on it. This time I held back and only glued 2 green leaves sprouting up out of the detrius of winter a.k.a. The fabric isn't cotton, but an upholstery remnant that melts when the iron hits it--now there was a learning moment! Variegated threads pulled the colors of the monoprint onto the fabric and quilting with the same color thread in straight lines echoed the weaving. I used the reverse side of the fabric to take advantage of the softer colors.


3 comments:

Karoda said...

Did you put the other piece that was "too much" up at Violet Patch? But how do you feel about this piece? I like it but feel there could be "more". Maybe more leaves in a 3-d effect or something. Oh, and come through Louisville and pick me up on your way to New Mexico, okay?

Jen said...

I think this piece is beautiful and doesn't need more at all. I like the colors and the simplicity of design. That said, you really have to decide for yourself if you think it is complete. The only thing you can count on when you get a bunch of friends (or artists) together is that they will all have different opinions.
New Mexico is so beautiful! Have fun! Jen

Shirley Goodwin said...

I haven't visited your blog before, Cheryl - could you post about how you did the clay prints? Or is it in your archives somewhere?

Shirley in New Zealand

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly