Tuesday, December 06, 2005



Quilts, knits, and prints are all on the backburner this month. When my 16 year old diva came home from auditions for "Charlotte's Web" at our community theatre, she pointed her index finger in her dad's face and stated,"Tomorrow YOU are going to audition. You're so much better than everyone who tried out tonight." Then she wheeled around and pointed that finger in my face and said, "And you're going with him!"

Yea, right. The month before Christmas we are not going to rehersing 3 hours a night, we told her.

When she went to bed M and I talked about it. How many 16 year olds want to be seen in public, let alone on stage, with their parents? And how many more opportunities will we be given to to do something like this with her? We caved. From now until the 18th we are Edith & Homer Zuckerman, twice on Saturdays. Call it a perfect example of type casting--the old farmer & his wife! Oh, and I almost forgot, the Diva is Charlotte!

The play includes a cast of 1000's--lots of children who play goslings and sheep and fairgoers. It's fun, and it will be a sell-out (well with such a star-studded cast of course!). Our little community theatre will accually make some money, and that will ensure productions for next year.

Most importantly for me is that I have necessarily unplugged myself from most of the holiday excess and must choose to only do only what is most important. The house is a wreck (carpenters have been tracking thru all week), presents aren't bought, Christmas baking is a distant memory. But I know that the hours spent rehersing entrances and dropped lines are hours spent making Christmas memories that will warm the old farmer and his wife for a long time. And this season spiders & their webs will definitely hold prominent spots throughout our house, at least that's my excuse!

3 comments:

Karoda said...

Cheryl, this sounds like so much fun!!!!!! You simply must give us rehearsal photos of you and the fam! I know its hard work but its the really really good kind! Do you think y'all will find yourselves in character even when at home? hehehehe

Elle said...

I LOVED Charlotte's Web as a kid and still have my worn, battered copy of it. Good luck to your family in the play!

Jen said...

I still love this story. What a wonderful memory you are making! Break a leg (several?) Jen

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly