Monday, November 14, 2005

Altered Clay Monoprints

I have been trying to find a way to integrate the two kinds of art I make--clay monoprints and fiber arts. I have been studying Karoda's and Sonji's work and finally that lightbulb went off. "Why don't I take the monoprints, done on Pellon, and alter or embellish them, at least the ugly ones. They can only be improved?"

So the following are my first attempts. Of course, as I post to the blog, I forgot to go in reverse order, so the last three photos will be read backwards. Sorry about that.

4 comments:

Karoda said...

How about a real comment!?! Cheryl, the ones you've sent me are still sitting on my shelf...it just felt so wrong to alter them but these have opened up some possibilities. I'm thinking they might go great with upholstery fabrics.

Karoda said...

Have you tried running these through your printer or stamping on them?

susan sorrell said...

I really like this print!

Olenka said...

Hi! What do you use as a fixative on your clay prints?

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly