Saturday, August 06, 2005

Hills & Valleys

I live in the hills & valleys of West Virginia. Today they are an apt metaphor for the ups & downs of my quilting and art making. Went to the local quilt fest yesterday where I had six pieces displayed. Two were ribbon winners from a previous show and four were from my new blue fused series that were done this summer.

The valley: Well, first of all, I couldn't find the fused pieces, they were tucked in behind the giant queen-sized traditional quilts and no one else will see them either. There is nothing in the show remotely like them, which makes me a little cocky and proud. Second, the judging was done by an 80 yr. old male basketmaker. Uncle Phil, as we all know him, is a sweetheart, but he doesn't know much about contemporary art quilts. There were some beautiful quilts there (you know about WV and her quiltmakers) and exquisite craftsmanship. But on a personal level, thank goodness for this web ring and the knowledge that there is a larger world out there.

The hill: I'm taking off in a couple of hours for deepest, darkest Cleveland and two days with Caryl Bryer Fallert. I'll be climbing that metaphoric hill, stretching, striding, panting, gasping, but at last coming out on top at a new place. I'm really looking forward to learning something new and to being opened artistically by Caryl. Look for photos next week. And as always, thanks for your gentle help along my hills & valleys. (And yarn, yum! I'll be visitng a great little yarn shop in Oberlin.)

2 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

I so happy to know you will be Caryl's student. She is the best and most generous artist and I am sure you will learn gobs from her. Say Hi and we miss you to her from me and the rest of the girlfriends.
And you have a great time!

Karoda said...

Yes, have a wonderful time! I'll be waiting anxiously for your posts and pics about the workshop!

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly