Monday, April 25, 2005


Jellyfish Girl is SJH's new nickname given to her by undergraduates in the micro lab at WLSC. They were pretty amazed to see such a young scientist transform an organism using plasmids and DNA. SJH was studying the effects of Goldenseal, the herb, on bacterial resistant e. coli. The outcome was that Goldenseal in fact did curtail the growth of e. coli even when it was resistant to antibiotic drugs. She transformed the e. coli by inserting a glow-in-the-dark plasmid from a jellyfish into the e. coli. This same plasmid also carried the antibacterial resistance, so when the little guys glowed, they were also resistant.

My energies have been spent with the jellyfish & e. coli instead of with the quilts and monoprints, as you can tell by the lack of blog posts. I have been the taxi driver, the fashion consultatnt, and the hand-holder during three very intense science competitions. It was well worth it. I got a lot of mother-daughter bonding time in and SJH took in lots of awards including two free trips to international science venues in San Diego & Phoenix. I can't make the CA trip, but I've got my ticket for Phoenix! It's snowing and cold here in WV today, so sunny Arizona is looking mighty fine.

2005 has been an amazing year so far for our family. I'm counting the many blessings, and the days to Phoenix!

2 comments:

Karoda said...

Cheryl, this is so fantastic for Jellyfish!!!! I love it when young people find a passion and purpose early in the young lives.

Elle said...

I have to admit that I found her jellyfish research work fascinating...

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly