Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Clay Monoprints


Night & Day, You Are the One Posted by Hello

Here are photos of four of the clay monoprints that I made last week with Mitch Lyons. The art's printed either on Pellon or on Reemay. These are not made with ink or paint, but rather a very thin layer of colored clay is pulled off a clay slab and adheres premanently to the cloth. Water is spritzed onto the clay slab before the Pellon is put down to print. An electrical charge builds up between the wet clay and the Pellon when a rolling force is applied. (The backside of the Pellon is rolled with a rolling pin, pizza roller, or spoon so that the entire surface comes in contact with the clay.) This charge is what holds the clay permanently to the cloth. There is no firing of clay, nothing. The prints are allowed to dry and then Thompson's Water Seal is spritzed to preserve the vibrant colors.

5 comments:

Claire said...

Hi Cheryl, your monoprints are very cool. I like On Target best :-) I'm not sure if I understand the clay printing concept though.

Cheers
Claire

Gerrie said...

These prints are really great. I have never heard of this type of printing on fabric.

Jen said...

Cheryl,
That must have been some workshop! I have never seen this process, Very exciting. (note to self: add learning this to "the list") Love the texture and color! Jen

Frances said...

I love these mono prints, much better than the ones my tutors showed me, the texture must be amazing, so much to try so little time, thanks for sharing

Rayna said...

Love the vivid colour and spontaneity, Cheryl. But what is Reemay? It is wonderful how many ways there are to make monoprints!
One of my favorite things to do, too.

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly