Tuesday, July 06, 2010

New Work--Monoprints


Got to spend some time in the studio over the long holiday weekend. This is one of the results. I have been working on a series of altered pieces, Doors & Windows, in which I combine clay monoprints. Using scissors I cut windows or doors in the monoprints and lay another print under so that the viewer can "see into" it. Then I outline the doors and windows using various stitiches on my trusty sewing machine. For this piece I noticed that I still needed more lights to contrast with the darks and middle ranges, so a third print was cut and used lintel-like across the doors and windows to bring in lights and the bright blue. Lots of repetition here with the vertical and horizontal shapes as well as repetition of colors.Posted by Picasa

No comments:

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly