Sunday, February 18, 2007

CLOTH & CLAY

Here is my little show at the Second Cup Cafe in Whg, WV. On the walls are clay monoprints and fused art quilts.



Twenty pieces in all. I am still surprised at how they look on walls as I'm used to seeing them auditioning next to the laundry. They seem so finished, framed and hanging here.

Sold my first piece--huzzah! so it's onwards and upwards. Looking forward to trips this year, the UK and NYC, so I wish a few more would sell.

I've had some very nice comments about the work Of course no one here has ever seen quilts like these from the Chicago School of Fusing, and they are surprised and pleased by the colors and designs.


Here you can see 3 quilts: the largest with the grey border (thank you Artfabrik!) is called Courthouse Steps: Variations; the blue to the right of it is called Cirque de Sew-Sew; and the striped one in the bottom right is called Guantanamo: Homage to Motherwell .

Robert Motherwell was very affected by the Spanish Civil War and made a series of prints about the Fascist prisons. Naturally, I've seen parallels in our own situation.

The three pieces above this man's head are a series of clay monoprints, pulled one after the other, yet they are still monoprints (ask me why) called Crop Circles.

And the last photo is a closer shot of the first wall. The purple & blue piece was made last summer in Mrs. Mel's Indiana workshop, and the yellow is one of my earliest fused quilts.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly