Thursday, September 28, 2006

New Knit Project



Here is my latest carry-it-with-me knitting project. I dyed the yarn--KnitPicks Wool of the Andes--last summer and have been trying to decide what to do with it. It was the first time that I dyed with Kool-Aid, a science in the kitchen sort of project.
A serendipitous trip to the discount store provided discontinued Fun Fur in the exact colorway. I am working on a hat pattern that I've used before using one strand of worsted and one of fuzzy. It's a cloche-style with a brim that curls up a bit over the forehead.
There's lots o'knitting going on during lunch hours and late night TV time because I'm trying to get fuzzy scarves and hats ready for a school fund-raiser in mid October. Easy, mindless knitting is the answer. I have a few pairs of socks done too, but they will carry a high price because I don't want to part with them!
Slides and application are in the mail for the "Form Not Function" show in New Albany, IN. I don't know how well my work will hold up in the judges' eyes, but I've decided it's time for me to push my little birdies out of the nest to see if they crash or fly. I need some critical feedback instead of the bobble-heads "how pretty" response I get at home.

No comments:

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly