Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Dyeing Daze



Well, I finally did it! I took the plunge and dyed fabric for my own quilts for the first time. It was fun! Of course I needed a little help, I needed a reason to do the dyeing, somehow I couldn't just own up to the fact that I wanted to/needed to do this for myself and my art. But the learning here once again is don't be afraid, don't be cautious. My God! I am 54 years old and I can do anything I put my mind to.

So with a little help from my friends, i.e. the 12th grade art class at MdC, I bought the dye, fabric, and soda ash. I followed the Lazy Dyer Method. And Voila! It was a tie-dye fun fest.


Seven seniors and their teacher GS came to my garage and together we dyed abaout 30 yards of fabric. We all had a blast Now I have to buy us all a couple of bolts of Wonder Under and let the Fusing Frenzy begin!

1 comment:

Deb Lacativa said...

OH just you wait!! I think the dye makers put CRACK in the dye powder. I keep having to do MORE!! If you haven't yet tried dyepainting (you thicken the dye with alginate) get ready for even more fun!

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly