Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Knitting Rules!


One of the loverly things about being a librarian is ordering new books, sometimes even books that I'm interested in reading. Today our copy of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's "Knitting Rules" finally hits the shelf! Of course I must browse through it to be able to talk about the book with the library patrons! You see right through me, don't you.

Well on page11 Stephanie explains so perfectly why I knit.

"Knitting is a miracle worker. With knitting, people can suddenly do things they couldn't do before. They can wait in line without becoming impatient. They can sit through a grade-school concert with a smile. They can handle long meetings and lectures, all without bothering other people or pacing around like lunatics. I can think of several times in my own life when knitting kept me from slapping some fool upside the head. Knitting makes boring people interesting and mundane things intriguing. The only other thing that does that has the disadvantage of giving you a hangover instead of a pair of socks."

And I personally want to add to Stephanie's litany--keeping from crying like a baby in the Emergency Room. My father was taken to the hospital yesterday with a very low pulse & dizziness. He is 88. I am watching him slowly dissolve before me.

Knitting is good.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am so sorry about your dad, Cheryl. It's so difficult when our parents' health fails.
I hope he will be better soon. Hang in there. Jen

kirsten said...

*hugs* Been there too.

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly