Saturday, October 01, 2005

Just a Jot

Just a jot before I'm off again. This is crunch time for me, but the promise of normal days isn't far off now.

Yes, I GRADUATED! Yippee!! As my mother asked, Will this give you a raise and more $$$? Sadly, no. A better job? Not anytime soon. Oh, well, it will be used at this job for this pay. Education and elucidation, good stuff. I did get to Manhattan with my college roommate and we saw "Fiddler" which was beautiful; had gin & tonics at Rockefeller Plaza and saw the Habitat for Humanity house in progress; shopped a bit on 5th Ave; and dined at the Algonquin. What a wonderful, magical day! (Oh, and a Richie Havens concert 2nd row last Friday nite. Still a hunk of manly passion.)

Returned home and the next whirlwind of work and travel. Friday I was in Charleston, WV where I am a part of a grant funding organization. I love giving away $$ to deserving projects. After the meeting I was able to smuggle myself into the WV Capitol Complex to see the
WV Juried Exhibition 2005 art show and most specifically, my print. OMG!! It was really there, hanging on the wall in the art gallery! Wow, what a feeling that was to see my print there with the most incredibly beautiful pieces of WV art.

Tomorrow I'm off to the state library conference in historic Shepherdstown, WV. I love this part of WV, it's near Maryland, the Civil War Battlefield of Antietam, Harpers Ferry, and the C&O Canel. Weather looks favorable, so the traveling should be fine.

Photos, I promise, when I return.

SJ is out tonite on her first Homecoming Dance. She looked radiant--hair up, long formal gown. Her date was her best from kindergarten. My how they've grown! Maybe some photos of them for the relatives who read this blog.
I'll be back in a couple of days.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi
Congratulations! What an accomplishment. Also having a piece in the West VA. Juried Exhibition.

Karoda said...

Cheryl, you are going to have to add the word verification feature!

With the time you had...(would love to see Richie Havens in concert from the 2nd row...or really any row) plus seeing your piece hanging at its best you have got to be walking on air! Congratulations and keep on keepin' on!

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly