Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Stormy Weather


Hot, humid, and violent storms, that's what's going on in my neighborhood. The storms have been so violent, and my workplace is in such a remote and rural setting that we've been without power and were sent home! Yippee! A day off and I used it selfishly. At home there was power, so I finished 7 entries for the local Mountaintside Quilt Festival and delivered them. Two were 1st and 2nd place finishers in American Heritage Quilt Show this winter and were invited to be in the "best of the best" at this show. (Here is the red ribbon quilt, my first fused quilt based on a design by Frieda Anderson.)

The others were small art quilts, all fused, and posted previously on this blog. My friend who saw them said, "Will there be anything like these at the quilt show?" No. Not here. Only very traditional pieces will be shown. So I've plucked up my courage and I'm ready to shock 'em with loud colors and swirling abstracts.

Now I change gears a bit because I'm going to Cleveland next week for two days of workshops with Caryl Bryer Fallert. I will be stretched in new ways that I cannot even imagine. It'll be fun gathering up all the supplies required for her classes.

As I look back over this past year I am amazed at what I've done as a quilter and from where I've traveled artistically. Just last Septemeber I took my first quilt class with Sandi Blackwell at my LQS and began a commitment to myself and my need for making art. I am finally giving credence to my long suppresed need to create and especially to create in color, and I have found channels for that energy in both fusing art quilts and clayprints. I am journeying out from my structured world of daily routines and actively participating in limitless possibilities that making art offers. Taking workshops with Mrs. Mel and Mitch Lyons have indeed released creative blocks better than any shrink.

I wonder where have I been? Why have I been away from this art for so long? Why did I keep myself from it? This blog and the ring of your blogs have been very important to my growth and exploration too. Your mentoring by example and your kind, supportive words of praise have had a big impact on me. Thank you, dear readers and bloggers.

No comments:

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly