Friday, May 27, 2005


Gerrie, I think, asked the question, "What is hanging on your walls?" The voyeur in me loves seeing how others live, and I thought that to be upfront about my own curiosity, I should play fair and contribute to yours. These pictures are from my kitchen. It is an eclectic, lived-in room that is never just for cooking or eating.

I am so fortunate to have lived and worked with children's book illustrators because of my family's work with and publishing of children's books. Their beautiful illustrations are collected in every room in the house. (Yep, someday I'll show you the bathroom!) This first picture is of a hand-colored woodblock print by Mary Azarian. Mary lives in Vermont on a lovely old farm. Her woodblocks can be found in her myriad of award-winning children's books like the Caldecott winning "Snowflake Bentley." I have followed Mary's books from her first which was only in black and red. Now of course she is in full-fabulous color.



This is an illustion from one of my husband's books. Barbara is a printmaker in NYC and her work is so very wonderful and unusual. She makes a collage, usually using ribbon, paper doilies, beads, coins, etc. and then prints the collage, and finally applies color to the print. So this is a hand colored collographic print by Barbara Garrison from Marc Harshman's book "Only One."



Not all of the kitchen walls are covered with original art, but they are certainly covered with memories of days past and friends near and dear. Here is a very old platter, gift from a dear friend, Katie.

This weekend is three blessed days for me to sew and fuse and get back to the clay monoprints that I showed you earlier this spring. Hope too to get dirt under my nails, plant some roses and veggies and do sun worshipping dances to make everything grow.

2 comments:

Karoda said...

I absolutely love love love the first print. It embodies a very romantic vision of how I see myself in the kitchen hehehe(nothing, and i do mean NOTHING close to the reality)

Gerrie said...

I love that veggie print!! Thanks for sharing.

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly