Thursday, February 10, 2005

Art 160

I'm going back to school this year in a big way. Professionally, I'm taking a continuing ed course at Rutgers in the Library School on Preservation & Archives (first big paper mailed today tada!) and personally I'm taking myself to art school. First there was the Quilting 101 with Sandi Blackwell last fall to hone my skills; then there was Fusing and the Creative Block with Melody Johnson; and now it is 3-D art and design with Robert Villamagna.

Bob is providing a good stretch for me--making me plan ahead...draw and measure and get the vague project idea down on paper. To that end we saw a movie today on Claes Oldenburg as an introduction to our next project. The assignment is to take a simple tool, one that is used by hand, and make it at least 2x bigger or 30". So what tool? As with other artistic decisions, the first critical ones determine the outcome of the piece, but it is so hard not to get paralyzed by the decision. So, thimble? Scissors? A tool that I use. Rolling pin? Aha! Knitting needles and yarn. What better way to explore Oldenburg--hard/ soft and male/female.

1 comment:

Karoda said...

Cheryl, the class sounds absolutely cool. Please post updates of your projects so I can live vicariously.

PURLS OF WISDOM

"Color is the real substance for me, the real underlying thing which drawing and line are not."
--Sam Francis

"The great man is one who never loses his child's heart."
-- Philosopher Mencius

"We wear our attitudes in our bodies."
-- Patti Davis

Colour embodies an enormous though unexplored power which can effect the entire human body as physical organism.

Colour is a means of exercising direct influence upon the soul.
--V. Kandinsky
I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way.. things I had no words for.
--
Georgia O'Keeffe

Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
--
J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Faith is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--
E. L. Doctorow

Somebody once said that people become artists
because they have a certain kind of energy to release, and that rings true to me.
--Dale Chihuly